On the 4th Day...

Wednesday, August 15, 2007



Another day and - thankfully - not much to report. Ezri is still struggling with jaundice so it was another day of the Big Blue Light. The jaundice makes her a bit sleepy so she didn't seem to mind much. All of her bloodwork came back perfect so the Neonatologist told me that there is no reason to be concerned - jaundice just comes with the territory with a premature baby. Looking around at the other babies in the NICU - many on ventilators and a variety of other devices - we are VERY lucky that this is the biggest concern we have right now. Ezri's nurse actually told me that when she saw she just had Ezri and one other baby to look after, she thought she would have a boring day. I never thought I'd be so proud to have someone call my daughter dull.

The doctor did tell me that she is doing "incredibly well" - his words exactly. She was able to increase her feeds yet again and the doctor plans to have her IV out tomorrow. She will still have the feeding tube for a while, but she is definitely showing signs of being ready for nipple feeding - when it's close to her feeding time, she gets fussy and searches around with her mouth open for her pacifier or whatever else she can get into her mouth. They tell us they usually start to try to nipple feed at 34 weeks - this Saturday - and since she seems to be interested, she may be ready to give it a go this weekend. It will be a slow process but every step counts in getting her home.

As always, here are some pictures from today.






3 comments:

Moxy Jane said...

Oh, these pictures are just wonderful. She's so lovely and perfect. I do so hope she's home with Mom and Dad very soon! Thanks for sharing all of this with your adoring public!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh - she didn't look tiny to me until I saw your hand holding hers! Although I did start to gain some perspective last night when I was holding my six-lb. cat and thought - the cat weighs more than Ezri...

Anonymous said...

I will say it over and over again, she is absolutely beautiful and perfect. It is amazing to see just how tiny she is, those pictures are priceless.